26 July 2010

Stovetop Cobbler





Have I mentioned apricot cobbler? I still have a handful or two of fruit wrinkling and waiting in the fridge for me to make into one last cobbler. I tried various methods and really liked the stovetop one--nice not to have to turn on the oven, although cooking on the stove can make you pretty hot too!




I used my cast iron skillet for this creation, and a recipe found here as inspiration. Of course I tweaked it . . .

Stovetop Cobbler
(yield 4 - 6 servings)

4 cups apricots, washed and halved with pits removed
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar (depending on your sweet tooth--I liked it a bit tart)
1/4 cup water
1 cup flour, sifted
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP butter
1/2 cup yogurt

Instructions: Combine first three ingredients in your skillet and cook over medium heat about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. In the meantime stir together flour, baking powder, and the 2 TBSP sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly then stir in yogurt. Drop by spoonfuls onto the fruit filling and cook over low heat another 10 minutes, uncovered. Cover and cook another 10 minutes. Brown under oven broiler prior to serving.




After browning, there's not much to do but scoop it out in to bowls, top with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream and DIG IN! As other seasonal fruit becomes available adapt the recipe to suit (mostly the water and sugar depending on the fruit's sweetness and water content).

2 comments:

  1. thanks! I'm going to try this with some peaches tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went camping for my birthday and took this recipe along because I thought it looked easy for my sons to make. It was a chilly night and the warm cobbler was perfect. Even my VERY picky 9 yr. old asked for seconds. It's a great camper recipe.

    ReplyDelete