02 July 2009

Bagels



Too much fun! Bagels have become one of those things that we just buy and never think about making at home. While many recipes are involved and complicated, my sister found one that you can whip out in an afternoon (or morning). I won't post the recipe here, just a link to the original. I added some whole wheat flour, of course, and dipped mine in sesame seeds just before baking. I also made 12 instead of 8 bagels, and found that they didn't need to bake 10 minutes on each side. I'll try 6 or 7 minutes per side next time.


The dough gets formed into little balls that rest.
Mine rested a l---o---n---g time because I had
two other projects going on at the same time.





After it rests 20 minutes, the dough gets shaped
into bagels which rest again another 10 - 20 minutes.





The bagels are boiled before being baked. It
was surprisingly easy and not messy (though boiling
did make them a little sticky). I coated them with
sesame seeds prior to baking. Turned out really great!





I had to run out for some neufchatel cheese
so we could eat them hot and fresh that night!


No comments:

Post a Comment