10 April 2012

The Bread Journey Concludes



Well, Lent is over. I think I had a 90% success rate with my chosen discipline of making bread each day. And I'm still in the frame of mind (two days out from Easter) of wondering what bread I should organize my dinner menu around. I did enjoy finding some recipes that I may just include in meals more regularly like chapati, tortillas, and the Greek Easter Bread pictured above (okay, maybe I'll just break out this tender, butter and egg bread once a year!). All in all, I think I really needed the daily reminder of God's goodness throughout what was an emotionally up and down Lenten season this year.


Some of the breads of the last two months . . .

Irish Soda Bread--appropriately as St. Patrick's Day on March 17 is smack in the middle of Lent. I made an Irish stew to go along with it for a family weekend in Virginia.




This was a "No-Time" bread (google that!) in which I substituted my remaining cocoa powder (so I wouldn't have to pack it). It was good, but I baked it waaaay too long, resulting in a burnt crust. Bummer!





French Bread (Corinna, you asked me what bread I was making one particular day--here it is!)






Mmmmmm . . . Ethiopian food! I got the injera recipe along with the recipes for beef wat [ahem, venison], lentil salad, and the vegetables from a cookbook called "Extending the Table". A truly delicious combination of flavors and fun to eat with our hands!




And an experiment: Vegan Peach Pancakes

I substituted a flax meal/water mix for the eggs, and put in peaches with juice in place of milk. They were a little soggy, but YUM! Of course, I had to non-vegan accessorize with real buttah and a glass of milk to wash it all down. Yes, all.


No comments:

Post a Comment