25 May 2010

Oatmeal Pancakes





So, I've been obsessed with breakfast foods recently (as I write--for instance--the smells of cooling granola ("let cool undisturbed"!) are wafting in enticingly from the kitchen). This obsession is a little ironic, because we rarely get up early enough to actually enjoy a nice, leisurely morning meal without being on-the-cusp-of-late to work. Maybe that's the thing--I'm subconsciously searching for that perfect, satisfying, quick breakfast food that will make mornings as smooth as cream (and let me get to work on time).

I tried making granola a few weeks ago. I even put in some fancy ingredients--dried cherries, cranberries, and slivered almonds. It was so-so in flavor and texture (I probably disturbed it too much while cooling) but did make a quick, satisfying breakfast paired with some plain yogurt and honey.

Of course, I've also done scrambled eggs for breakfast, which seems pretty quick except that I want them with warmed tortillas, salsa (which may take a while to hunt down) and coffee (read: "takes five minutes to grind the beans, dump the old grounds, find a new filter, measure out coffee, and then locate the carafe, which must be filled with fresh, cold water and dumped into the reservoir just to start the coffee!").

Of course, there's always the quickie grab-a-muffin breakfast, which is wonderful when you don't leave all your muffins at your parents-in-laws' house three hours north of here, and of course no bananas in the freezer to make them again.

I almost bought a bag of bagels at the grocery store today.

So, about those pancakes. The thing I like about them, besides the fact that they're mostly oats, is that you're supposed to soak the oats in buttermilk the night before. This dedicates you to finishing them in the morning, like it or not.

I didn't do much to alter the recipe for myself other than substitute about 1/2 plain yogurt and 1/2 milk for buttermilk (which I never have) and add a 1/2 tsp. salt. Also, cook them over medium-low heat as they will not cook in the middle before burning on the outside otherwise. You can guess how I know that.

Enjoy!




Finally, a gratuitous display of one of the bridesmaid's bouquets I did for an out-of-state wedding two weeks ago (one of my excuses for not posting more during May) . . .


1 comment:

  1. Hey, you tried them!! Glad you like- I'm addicted to making them! The bouquet is fabulous!! Candice

    ReplyDelete