16 April 2011

Lavender Vanilla Soda



I was craving some soda a few weeks ago while doing some regular grocery shopping. Having agreed not to purchase items with high-fructose corn syrup in them, I was at a bit of a loss as to how to satisfy this craving. Then it came to me. Dry soda. We sell it at the restaurant I work at--a product developed by a pregnant lady to be able to enjoy a good tasting dinner beverage without feeding baby lots of sugar. I bought a bottle of club soda and determined to make my own.




I started with lavender, steeping 2 tsp. of the flowers in a cup of hot water.





When it had steeped for 10 minutes, I added 2 tsp. sugar, a pinch of salt, and a 1/4 tsp. of vanilla flavoring. Into the freezer for about 15 minutes to cool.





After chilling, I mixed the syrup with an equal amount of club soda, and that was it!




It could have been sweeter, less lavender-y and more vanilla-y. But overall I found it refreshing and simple to make. I tried adding whipped cream to make it like a cream soda, but found I didn't care for the effect.




Other flavor ideas: plain vanilla, orange, ginger, cherry . . . Got any to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment