22 December 2010

Simply Cheesecake Experimenting



During the fall (it is now winter!) I enjoyed spending some time turning this . . .





. . . into this (okay, so I've only tried it twice).




The recipe for this chocolate pumpkin cheesecake is from a cookbook called "Simply in Season". I've had some problems with it. First off, I couldn't get the thick chocolate-y part to swirl very well.




So I thinned that part of the batter, with this result.



Hmmmm . . . still not getting the swirling part down. I may have to try layering it--pumpkin, chocolate-pumpkin--then swirling.

My second complaint with the recipe is that it isn't pumpkin-y enough for my taste. Too much chocolate, too little pumpkin. To remedy this (once the cake was already made) I came up with a pumpkin sauce to drizzle over it. Yummy! But not a permanent solution for the cheesecake itself. I've still got some work to do . . .

I was pretty pleased with the pumpkin sauce for its own sake though. Good on pancakes. French toast. In coffee. Over cheesecake. Over ice cream . . .



Once I nail either the cheesecake or the sauce to my liking, I'll post some recipes. Until then, happy experimenting! Let me know if you've got any tips!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe chocolate is too strong a flavor to mix with pumpkin? To me, pumpkin is a pretty delicate flavor. One I'd like to try is a pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust (made in the same way as an oreo crust)....but i have to save up money for cream cheese. :) CM

    ReplyDelete